A Twitter user has sued the company for data breaches, days after an internet hacking site published information allegedly gleaned from more than 200 million accounts.
New York state resident Stephen Gerber claims in his lawsuit, filed Friday in federal court in San Francisco, that his personal information was part of the data collected by Twitter hackers from July 2021 to January 2022. He claims class-action status for anyone whose information may have been hacked and have asked the court for unspecified damages as well as an order requiring Twitter to hire third-party security auditors.
Gerber’s lawsuit blames a “flaw” in Twitter’s application programming interface that allowed “cybercriminals to ‘delete’ data from Twitter.”
The “compromised information” included usernames, emails and phone numbers that could be used in phishing scams, the lawsuit says.
Twitter admitted in August that some 5.4 million accounts were hacked when a “bad actor” obtained personal information through a “vulnerability in Twitter systems” unspecified.
“Affected users” and authorities were “promptly notified” and the “vulnerability” was fixed, Twitter said.
Twitter insisted in a blog post last week that there was “no evidence that the data currently being sold online was obtained by exploiting a vulnerability in Twitter’s systems”. The data is “likely a collection of data already publicly available online through different sources,” the company said. Twitter did not immediately respond to Gerber’s lawsuit.
An anonymous poster on hacker site BreachForums earlier this month published a database claiming to contain basic information about hundreds of millions of Twitter users.
Gerber’s lawsuit says Twitter “apparently buried its head in the sand about the scale” of the hack.
Twitter is grappling with a number of other lawsuits. He was recently sued by one of his San Francisco landlords for nonpayment of rent, as well as by Canary Marketing and Imply Data Inc. for allegedly failing to pay for services.
Twitter employees fired by owner Elon Musk as part of a massive staff cut after buying the company for $44 billion last year have failed to win class action status in court from San Francisco on Friday.
U.S. District Judge James Donato has ruled that five former Twitter employees who accused the company of failing to give adequate notice of their terminations must pursue their rights in private arbitration because of employment contracts they ‘they signed with the company, CNN reported.
Leave a Reply