All products recommended by Engadget are selected by our editorial team, independent of our parent company. Some of our stories include affiliate links. If you purchase something through one of these links, we may earn an affiliate commission. All prices correct at time of publication.
Smartphones can mean never having to ask for directions, but it can still be difficult to convey exactly where you are at any given time to friends and family trying to find you. iPhone users can share their current location using Messages, Apple Maps, Google Maps, and Apple’s Find My app. Although Apple makes it easy to share locations with other iPhone users, there are several ways to send your location to someone who is also using an Android device. We’ve covered four different methods in the steps below, along with a way to share from your Mac and how to stop sharing your location when you need to.
How to share your location using Messages
This might be the easiest method, since you’re probably already texting the person you want to share your location with. To text someone exactly where you are, follow these steps:
1. Open a conversation in Messages and tap the recipient’s name/picture at the top of the screen.
2. Tap Send my current location.
3. A map thumbnail of your location will immediately appear in your chat.
If your recipient has an iPhone and taps on the map, an info screen will open with an option to get directions via Apple Maps. If your recipient doesn’t have an iPhone, they’ll receive an Apple Maps link that opens in their browser.
If you want to share your location for a longer period:
1. Tap your recipient’s name/picture in your Messages conversation.
2. Tap Share My Location.
3. Choose Share for an hour, Share until the end of the day, or Share forever (which stays active until you turn off sharing).
4. They will receive a notification that you are sharing your location with them and you will be added to their Find My app.
Remember that this only works with other iPhone users.
How to quickly share your home address in Messages
If your address is saved under your own contact, you can send your home address via Messages by typing the words “my address is” Messages will automatically suggest your home address to fill in. This also sends your address as a link your recipient can tap to open their default map app.
How to share your location using the Find My app
Find My allows you to locate your Apple devices as well as other iPhone users. The app is a combination of two older Apple offerings, Find My iPhone and Find My Friends. As you might expect, this also only works with other iPhone users.
Tap the Find My app from your home screen.
Tap People in the bottom left.
Tap the + symbol at the top of the contact list.
Select Share my location in the pop-up window.
Type the name of the person you want to share your location with. Note that only your contacts with iPhones or email addresses will appear.
6. Tap the contact’s name and tap send. Select whether you want to share for an hour, the rest of the day, or indefinitely until you turn off location sharing.
7. You will receive a pop-up indicating that you have started sharing your location and your recipient will receive a notification that you have shared your location with them and your information will appear in their Find My app.
Note on satellite location sharing
Currently, all iPhone 14 models have the ability to send messages to emergency services and share your location when you are outside of cellular coverage areas. This means you can send your location through the Find My app even when you’re off the grid. You can read more about the limitations and other factors in Apple’s press release.
How to share your location using Family Sharing
Family Sharing is an Apple service that lets you share things like subscriptions, media purchases, and photo albums with up to five people in your family. It’s also another way to let your family know where you are.
Go to Settings, then tap your Apple ID, iCloud+, Media & Purchases button at the top.
Tap Family Sharing.
Choose the friends or family members you want to use Family Sharing with from the list (note that Family Sharing only works with other iPhones).
Press the blue arrow to send. Your recipients will receive an SMS invitation to join Family Sharing.
5. Once you share with someone, you can turn on location sharing at the bottom of the Family Sharing menu (Settings > Apple ID > Family Sharing).
6. Tap Location Sharing at the bottom of the screen.
7. You will see an information panel about Family Sharing and your location. Tap Share location.
8. The next time you tap Location Sharing on the Family Sharing menu, you’ll be taken to a screen that lets you turn Location Sharing on and off.
9. People who are connected with you through Family Sharing (provided Location Sharing is enabled) will be able to see you in the Find My app and in your profile panel in Messages.
How to share your location using Google Maps
You can also share your location information directly from apps that many people use for navigation. To send a location via Google Maps, you need to be signed in with your Google account in the Maps app. Once connected, follow these steps to start location sharing:
Open the Google Maps app on your iPhone.
Tap your account picture in the top right corner.
Tap Location Sharing.
You will see a Location Sharing information panel. Tap the Share Location button.
5. From here you can choose to share with your contacts from Google by selecting a duration and the icon of the person you want to share with. Your recipient will receive a Google Maps notification (provided they have Google Maps installed and notifications enabled for this app). They will also receive an email with a link to view your location on Google Maps.
6. You can also tap More options under your contacts to share your location with a link.
7. You will see a popup asking if you want to share with a link. Tap Share.
8. Select from the suggested contacts (the small icon at the bottom right of each contact’s image indicates the method that will be used to send the link). Or select an app, such as Messages or Gmail to open those apps and enter your contact’s information.
9. Your contact will receive a link via the method you chose. When they tap the link, they go to the Google Maps app (if they have it installed) or Google Maps in the browser.
How to share your location using Apple Maps
If you prefer to use Apple Maps for navigation, here’s how to use the app to send your location details:
Open Apple Maps
Tap the arrow icon to center the map on your current location.
Swipe up on the panel in the lower half of the screen.
Scroll down to Share my location and tap.
Choose the person you want to share your location with from the suggestions menu or choose an app, such as Messages or Mail. You can add a comment if you want and hit the blue send arrow.
6. If you choose to send via Messages, your recipient will receive a map tile of your location. If they tap on it, it will open their Apple Maps app. If they don’t have Apple Maps, your location will open using Apple Maps in their browser.
How to Share Your Location Using a Mac
Click Launchpad in the Dock.
Open the Locate app.
Click Share My Location in the bottom left corner.
Type the name of the person you want to share with. Like the Find My app on an iPhone, the Find My app on a Mac can only share your location with other Apple devices.
5. Your recipient will receive a notification that you have shared your location with them and your information will appear in their Find My app.
Troubleshooting Location Sharing
If you’re having trouble sharing your location, make sure location services are turned on for the app you want to use.
Go to settings.
Tap Privacy & Security.
Tap Location Services.
Make sure location services are turned on.
Make sure the app you want to use is set to In Use.
How to stop sharing your location
If you’ve been sharing your location for a while using Find My, Family Sharing, or Google Maps, you can stop sharing at any time. If you’ve shared using a unique link to your location, via Messages, Apple Maps, or the link option in Google Maps, you can’t undo that action, just like you can’t undo sending of an SMS or an e-mail.
Via Find My: Open the Find My app and tap the name of the person you want to stop sharing with. Swipe up their info panel and tap Stop Sharing My Location.
Via Family Sharing: Open Family Sharing by opening Settings and tapping your Apple ID panel at the top of the Settings menu. Tap Family Sharing then Location Sharing and turn off Automatically share location.
Through Google Maps: Open the Google Maps app and tap your profile picture in the top right. Tap Location Sharing. You’ll see a list of people you’ve shared with. Tap the person you want to stop sharing with, then tap the Stop button at the bottom of the screen.
Leave a Reply